Monday 27 September 2010

Empey expresses sympathy over student death


Sir Reg Empey, the Employment and Learning Minister has expressed his sympathies over the death of University of Ulster student Fergal McCaughan from Ballycastle.

The Minister said: "It was with great sadness that I learned of the death of Fergal McCaughan, a First Year student at the University of Ulster Jordanstown, at the weekend.

"I offer my deepest sympathy to Fergal's family, his friends and fellow students. A young person's death is always a sad time and this more so as Fergal had only started his University career. As a parent myself, I hope and pray that Fergal's family will find strength to overcome the tragedy and be able to remember him in happier circumstances.

"I am glad that students can receive help and advice from the Health Centre Staff on the Jordanstown campus. I trust that all possible methods to prevent any further incident have been taken. I urge any student at UUJ who is worried to talk to the relevant staff as soon as possible."

Notes to Editors:

1. All media queries should be directed to the Department for Employment and Learning Communications Branch on 028 9025 7872. Out of office hours contact the Executive Information Service Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 44.

No comments:

Post a Comment